Home Page  ›   Places to visit ›  Historical monuments ›  Church of the Beheading of Saint John the Baptist

Church of the 

Beheading of Saint John the Baptist

Church of the Beheading of Saint John the Baptist

FACEBOOK TWITTER GOOGLE+

The oldest part of the royal town of Kadaň is the Spitálské suburbs, the heart of which is the ancient Church of the Beheading of Saint John the Baptist. Archaeological research has confirmed that it was built sometime in the last quarter of the 12th century. The preserved Romanesque masonry and especially unusual rectangular presbytery of the church testifies to the cultural influence of the nearby Frank tribes. The origins of the church are closely linked with the Knight's Order of the Johannites, who in 1186 received the title deeds to the market town of Kadaň from Prince Frederick. The Johannites established a hospital next to the church, which later gave its name to the surrounding town district.

The parish rights probably belonged to the church until the new royal town was established. The church was devastated during the Hussite Wars in 1421, and the repair thereof lasted until 1452. Also during the second half of the 15th century the maintenance of the church was bequeathed by the Kadaň town burghers in their wills. "St. John outside the town", as the church was sometimes called, served to the local Utraquists in the years 1530-1622. Catholic services were introduced again after the forced recatholisation of the town. It was plundered and burned down in the period of the Thirty Years War in 1635 and then lay in ruin for a really long time. Religious services were not resumed until 12/10/1710. This sanctuary was devastated by another fire again in 1742. Extensive renovation, financed mainly from the collections of believers, ended in 1742. The church was then decorated with frescoes by Josef Fux and an altar by Karl Weitzmann.

Forma uveřejněných informací je v souladu se zákonem č.64/2008 Sb., vyhláška o přístupnosti.

Neoficiální stránky města Kadaně a Kadaňska | Provozovatel: Městský úřad Kadaň| Prohlášení o přístupnosti
Vedoucí projektu: Jindřich Rebec | © 2010 - 2017 Petr Peti